Saturday, August 13, 2011

August 13 in San Antonio history..

1922
This morning, Judge James R. Davis submitted a petition from property owners in the settlement of Viva, between San Antonio and Leon Springs on the San Antonio & Aransas Pass railroad, that the streets and alleys in the 35-year-old town be ordered closed. The commissioners' court granted the petition. Thus, the township was wiped out. There were no casualties.

1928
Before the end of the week, the city expects to own all of the land necessary for the right-of-way of the crosstown flood prevention channel.  The channel will run from the back of the Public Service Co. across Commerce, Market and Dolorosa, connecting with the river again in the rear of the Plaza Hotel.

1959
Mayor Kuykendall drove off behind the wheel of a spanking new Cadillac today, the first city-owned chariot since Maury Maverick was in office.  A limousine for the mayor was discontinued during World War II.

No comments:

Post a Comment