Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 19 in San Antonio history...

1840
The Council House Fight takes place in the building next to San Fernando Cathedral. The meeting took place under a truce with the purpose of negotiating peace after two years of war between the Comanche Indians and the Republic of Texas. The Comanches sought to obtain recognition of the boundaries of the Comancheria, their homeland. The Texans wanted the release of Texan and Mexican captives held by the Comanches. The event ended with 12 Comanche leaders shot to death in the Council House, 23 shot in the streets of San Antonio, and 30 taken captive. The incident ended the chance for peace and led to years of hostility and war.


1898
Mayor Callaghan has appointed J. F. Onion, Frank Arnold and J. S. Lockwood as a committee to draft a protest to Washington regarding the removal of Military Headquarters from San Antonio to Atlanta, Georgia.

1948
Ailing Robert B. Green Hospital won't open fully until it has enough cash reserve in the bank for an entire year's operation.  Officials predict that won't be this year and may not be next year.

1968
More than one million general admission gate tickets for HemisFair have arrived in San Antonio.  About 5 1/2 million tickets have been printed and will be shipped here when a dent has been made in the first shipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment