Help us gather the unknown stories of San Antonio's history.
Please share your memories with us as we feature different historical images and stories from the vast collection of the Texana/Genealogy Department of the San Antonio Public Library. Comments are strongly encouraged.
Arguably one of the most beautiful houses in San Antonio, this mansion was built in 1904 for David J. Woodward and his wife. It was designed by noted San Antonio architect, Atlee Ayers, who designed many impressive houses and buildings around the Alamo City, including the "Taj Mahal" at Randolph AFB, the Smith-Young Tower (now called the Tower Life Building), and houses for the Halff, Kelso, Negley, Tobin and Oppenheimer families.
D.J. Woodward died in 1925 and the house was sold to the San Antonio Woman's Club in 1926 by his widow. They have owned it ever since.
The dramatic curved portico lends itself nicely for beautful Christmas decorations every year. It is located at 1717 San Pedro Avenue at the NW corner of San Pedro and French Place.