Saturday, November 20, 2010

November 20 in San Antonio history...

1897
The electric lights were tested last night and were found to be very good. Some more lamps have to be erected but it is expected the city will be lighted by electricity in two or three more days.

1909
The Gunter Hotel is completed and opened for business. The hotel stands on the former site of the Vance House. Previous to that, it was the site of U.S. Army barracks and was the headquarters of Robert E. Lee, Albert Sidney Johnston and other Civil War heroes.

1937
Ft. Sam Houston's new 400-bed hospital is expected to be turned over to hospital officials by noon today.

1938
An old rock quarry, east of San Jacinto Park and near Brackenridge Park was approved by Mayor C. K. Quin as the site of the proposed athletic stadium for the public school system.

No comments:

Post a Comment